In order to be able to respond effectively and efficiently to an adverse situation, an organisation requires pre-planning. Any organisation taking the view that it can agree what to do post-incident is putting its businesses at risk of serious disruption.
Effort needs to be put into:
- Defining post incident roles and responsibilities i.e. who will do what to respond to the incident
- Creating a clear and concise escalation process to enable the correct corporate response to be activated quickly
- Making people aware of what to do to protect themselves and others first, and then the business
- Determining practical, cost-justified recovery strategies for resources required to support critical activities – covering people, premises, technology, information and supplies – and taking account of stakeholder expectations
- Developing the incident management plan
- Considering the communications plan for dealing with stakeholders, including the media.